Skip to main content

Week 10...This week has been great but has been challenging.

This week has just flown by and it is amazing to see the little miracles that happen every day. What a blessing it is to be out on a mission right now serving the Lord Jesus Christ. I am definitely adjusting to the new environment and looking forward to every day to find more people who are willing to receive the Gospel and are prepared by the Lord. I know that this work is true.

Elder L. and Elder Shirley drinking fresh coconut juice!
Serving here has really opened my eyes to the amount of love that Jesus Christ has for everyone here. Each morning, we pray that people will be placed in our way and that we in turn will be able to find other people, and it seems everywhere we go, there is always someone there that has some sort of interest about the message of the restoration. Some are open to the message and willing to hear more, others maybe not so much, others will just ignore you but can't let that bother you. Just need to press on and continue doing your best to seek out those who are ready. Although, the church in the Chinese branch in B is only 5 members, we all have something to learn and we continue just doing our best to do what the Lord would have us do!

I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with the Malay Elders and that was humbling to see the different areas that they work in. We visited a lot of people and talked to all sorts of different people with various backgrounds and beliefs. One of the laws in Malaysia is that we cannot teach those who are from Malaysia who are Muslim. It is sad sometimes, because I want to share with them so bad but we can't. The best thing we can do is to tell them that family is important and if they have any Christian friends who would like to hear a message about the Gospel.

Elder Shirley eating something spicy? Looking very flushed!
Each Friday we have the opportunity to teach English Class and help those who are Malay, Iban, Chinese and anyone else that wants to come join. It is an hour long and we do a ton of different activities and games and it really is just awesome to see people smile and be happy. That is one of the things that really helps me to keep going is just helping others to smile and have fun. This past Monday, we taught family home evening at a member’s home with another member to show why FHE is so important above anything else. We played games, talked about the Book of Mormon and how we can strengthen our families through FHE. I promise that the blessing of having Family night no matter what comes up will always bring family together and it will bring lasting happiness. Each day is the opportunity to plant Gospel seeds and help others begin their testimony. It is just a matter of the Lord's timing and being patient enough to wait for it.

This week has been great but also has been challenging. Many of our appointments fell through and almost all of our investigators did not come to church and we were really bummed out. This week I have been really working hard to increase my faith and part of the reason was not putting my trust in the Lord. Much of the time, I felt that I would not try to communicate with those who were Chinese because of my language barrier and the inability to speak well. I was afraid of speaking and would not open my mouth in the opportunities that I had been given. 
I did my study this morning and I read Doctrine and Covenants 60: 2-3 which says "But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man. Wo unto such, for mine anger is kindled against them. And it shall come to pass, if they are not more faithful unto me, it shall be taken away, even that which they have." 


I realized that I had been neglecting the talent that the 
Lord had given me and because of my unbelief, I lacked the skill to communicate. I did not open my mouth and did not put my faith in the Lord as I should have. I made a goal to myself, to always open my mouth and to put total faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I know that He can do all things and has all power and is able to fill my mouth when the opportunity to do so arrives. 

Other than that, it has been an incredible week! Elder L is the most patient person I have ever met and his example of working is incredible! He is always doing the best that he can to find others to teach the Restored Gospel. I know that as we remember that the Lord is always with us and that He will always be there to guide us, we have no need to fear.

It is my testimony that this Gospel is true! It is the restored church of Jesus Christ again on the Earth. No unhallowed hand can stop this work from progressing. Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and through the power of God, the Book of Mormon was brought forth. The Book of Mormon is true. It has the power to change lives and continues to do so. It is the only book that will bring us closer to God than any other book. Read it, ponder and then pray. I promise that the Spirit will be felt, and that you will gain a testimony that it is true.

Out of all the things that I have experienced this week, there is one thing that meant the most to me and has encouraged me to do better.

"We are not perfect, we will never be perfect in this life, but there is one thing I am perfect at, I am perfect at trying"

I love all you and miss you every day, but I share this message so that others may know for themselves this work is true. That families can be together forever and that God who is our Heavenly Father loves us dearly. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love, Elder Shirley


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...