Skip to main content

Week 12... I Love Missionary Work!

Hey! It is always amazing to read your emails and the rest of everyone's! You are all just so amazing and I am blessed to have you and everyone else in my life. Thank you for raising me with the Gospel. I can look back and see how each little step is so important and how that really does make a huge difference. 

Everything here in B***** is doing awesome! We are working with a lot of people, helping them build their testimonies and their faith and it is simply incredible to see them progress and become happier and have a better relationship with their families and with the Savior Jesus Christ! Never let anyone's appearance or behavior let you think of them any different. They all have the potential to change and become like the Savior. Every day, I am able to see that and it is so humbling to be serving in this mission.

This week went by really quick. Wednesday morning, we flew out to KK which is a city in West Malaysia and then we flew to Singapore to have Zone Conference. It was a fantastic experience and I loved every minute of it. I had the chance to meet the zone and they are all fantastic missionaries! 

In Zone conference, we began with an introduction about the Book of Mormon and how it truly is the keystone of our religion. Elder Benson, challenged each of us, if we did not know if the Book of Mormon was true, or did not feel we have a solid testimony then to read it. Ponder and then pray to Heavenly Father.
He promised as we do so, we will be able to one, answer the many questions’ that we may have and then second, to testify of it powerfully. The Book of Mormon has indeed changed my life and it continues to do so. It is so important that we read it every single day or we will miss out on the blessings that Heavenly Father is so eager to give to us.

Current East Malaysia Zone 
We talked about goals for this year, about the efforts being made and many different ideas to help us to find. We were able to watch the missionary broadcast which was really neat. Elder Bednar, Elder Oaks, Elder Neilson and Sister Oscarson spoke and gave really inspired answers and suggestions on how we can better ourselves and all those around us.

The main message was "Teach Repentance and Baptize Converts" They discussed about the Spirit and its role in the conversion process. How it is our job to bring the spirit unto them, and the investigators job to bring the spirit into their hearts. Although it may be frustrating, they must bring the spirit into their hearts and then they truly begin their conversion process.

President and Sis Simmons, Elder Shirley and Elder L.
We talked a little bit more afterwards about the Spirit and the Savior. President and Sister Simmons talked with us and gave all of us some ideas on what we can do to hasten the work. They testified of the missionary work and how through the Spirit and Jesus Christ, all things are possible. We ended our conference with dinner, slideshow and a few games. It was so fun!

The next morning, we woke up around 4:45 and headed to the airport back to B******.

But there was a new missionary training in Sibu that we had to fly to that day as well. So it was a lot of flying in the sky :D I remember how scared I was of airports and now I practically live there! According to the law here, we only have allowed 90 days to be in Malaysia at any given time. After that expires, we either have to fly to Singapore for a day then fly back, or to some other country. It is just the way it is but it is not too bad. 

The special training was fun! Sister Simmons talked with us for a few hours and we discussed the importance of having our studies in the morning and the benefit of making our planning time a spiritual experience.
We talked about how every minute is so important and that with the goals we set, we not only account to others but most importantly to the Lord. The Lord is definitely engaged in this work and wants to know everything that is going on.


Overall it has been a good week. I have learned how to exercise patience more as well as charity. I know that every day I can continue to learn more and do the best that I can. 

One miracle that happened this week was when the Lord put someone in our path that we had contacted a few weeks ago but had written down his number wrong. This past Tuesday, we had an appointment that we needed to go to and as we were biking back home, there was a truck on the side of the road and a man who was lifting some things out and we asked if we could help. He said no thanks (no one likes help around here :D) but we talked with him about our message and he replied that he was Muslim so we talked with him about some other things. Then all of the sudden, another man gets out of the truck and he is Chinese and we talked with him. At this point I am tired and out of it, but we talked with him and we asked him for his phone number and it was funny the way he had said it. But the way he said it, I suddenly looked up and it was the same person we had contacted a few weeks ago. This time a half hour away from where we were last time. 

The Lord knows everything and places people in our path every day. It is our job to trust Him enough and listen for the Spirit to simply talk to somebody. As we ask the Lord to place people in our path with the intent of helping them come closer to Christ, He will do so. The worth of every soul is great in the sight of God. 

I love missionary work. It has almost been a month in the field but I love every minute of it. The Lord is evident in every part of it and will never leave us. Hold fast to the iron rod, do not let go. It is the only way we will make it back to our Heavenly home to live with Heavenly Father. I bear my testimony that miracles are real and they still happen every minute of the day. I am grateful to be serving here with all of its trials and challenges because as we push past those and stay strong, there is always someone waiting who needs the message of the Restoration in their lives. I love the Savior Jesus Christ and I am grateful for him every day. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love, Elder Shirley

Maybe they are preparing for an object lesson?

Maybe not? ; )


East Malaysia Zone Conference

East Malaysia Zone Conference

East Malaysia Zone Conference

East Malaysia Zone Conference...a few Chinese Elders
AZ Missionaries represent in Singapore! 

Beautiful Church Bldg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...