Skip to main content

Week 14...The Wheels on the Bike go Round and Round


This week has been full of miracles, both small and huge and it has definitely helped me develop my faith and build my love for Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ.



They are amazing and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to serve Them full time for two years. I am starting to realize that an eighth of my mission is already over. Wow! That goes by fast! I am always striving to make each day count as it is a day that I will never get back. This week has had its strengths and it has had its challenges. Of course each strength is a spiritual boost and each trial is a spiritual commitment to work harder and to rely on the Lord at all times. Each day, my faith increases. Whether that be from talking to people, teaching lesson, receiving emails. Each day my faith increases a little bit at a time and I am so thankful that it does.

Quick story. Me and Elder L. had the opportunity to go on exchanges. I went on an exchange with Elder H. who is assigned to speak Malay as his language while I am assigned Chinese. So, as we are contacting, if the person speaks Malay, I have no idea what he and them are talking about. While I talk in Chinese, he just gives me that face of "you said what?" We just laugh about it and do the best that we can. However, as we talk to others, the one language that we all can understand is the language of the spirit. As we testified of these things to be true we all felt the spirit.



I have a testimony that the spirit will break down language barriers and allow the Gospel to be shared. It is incredible to see the faces of those people change to a desire to know more. As me and Elder H. were deciding where to go next to contact, we offered a prayer. We told Heavenly Father that we wanted to go visit Brother J. and talk with him. In that moment, the spirit changed, it was as if he said, "No. You need to go toward Park City Mall, and you need to right now." So, we did. As we did so, we met a young man. We sat down with him and asked him about life. He told us he did not have a religion and was more of a free thinker. We testified of our Heavenly Father and told him that He knows us by name and has a plan for us to help us in our lives here on Earth. He looked toward us and said that he wanted to feel God again and was willing to meet. 

I know that as we listen to the spirit, no matter what situation or circumstance we are dealing with, we will always know what to do. We will be able to rely fully upon the Lord and can trust him with where He would have us go.

I always love miracles, but this one is just awesome and a powerful lesson. 

"The Wheels on the Bike go Round and Round."


Me and Elder L. were out contacting and as we were leaving a neighborhood, Elder L.'s back tire goes completely flat and we are about a 2 hour walk from the house and we have an appointment in 45 minutes. We were thinking about what to do, and I remembered a story from the MTC that the choir director had told. (He has some cool stories!) He told us about a young man who had to deliver parts from one town to the next. Between each town was a stretch of just desert with many miles between. His transport was a scooter that would get him to and from each town. On his journey to one town, in the middle of the desert, his scooter died and stopped. He had many more miles to go and so he got down on his knees and prayed. He stood up, his scooter started right up and he was on his way. A couple minutes later, his scooter died again. He thought to himself that he couldn't make it on time if he had to pray every time to go. He then remembered something in Seminary from the Doctrine and Covenants Section 25:12 which is; “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads. 
"He said, "well maybe if I sing, it will be like saying a continuous prayer." He sang and his scooter started up. He kept singing. As he stopped the scooter started to die, and so he kept going for hours. He described the scooter working better than before. As he neared the town his voice gave out and so did his scooter. His prayer had been answered.

Now some may question whether this story was actually true, but let me tell you...

Now me and Elder L. had to be somewhere in 40 minutes with a flat tire and a two hour walk ahead of us. We got down on our knees, we asked Heavenly Father that according to our faith and our songs of the heart, to please allow us to swiftly travel home on our bikes. We stood up.
We pumped up the tire, we started singing with all the energy of our heart, and that tire did not go flat the entire ride home. We pulled up to the driveway. Got off our bikes. We stopped singing, and that tire went completely flat. My testimony of singing praises unto the Lord is now evident in that experience. As we exercise faith, he will provide miracles to follow. I am so thankful that I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me physically and spiritually.

On the mission you learn, grow and are able to experience things that you wouldn't have been able to. I love the Lord; I am blessed to be here in Malaysia to experience these things. I know that each of us are children of God and I leave my testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love, Elder Shirley






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...