Skip to main content

Week 40...I bore my testimony in Malay...well sorta.

August 8, 2016

This week has been amazing! With the transfer coming in, my new companion is Elder Schwemmer and he is amazing! We are both way pumped to get things rolling and building up the Kuching area. I am grateful to always have such amazing companions with that desire to work and give all that they have! This week has been a little interesting, most of the missionaries in the Zone have been transferred and many of us have new companions. Elder Gara, who is our Zone Leader is in Singapore getting surgery this week, so I am on week long exchange with Elder Duckworth and it has been awesome so far! I am really enjoying it!

This past Saturday, there was a ton of rejection from people that we were meeting and contacting. It was interesting though because, each time a person said that they didn't want, I felt more and more charity for them. Although it was hard and discouraging, it didn't bother me. For once I wasn't concerned about myself in the slightest. I knew that I represented the Lord in what I did. I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve the Lord with all of my strength. I know that He is the one who lends me strength and guides me to do what is right!

This past Sunday, we were able to meet with a young man who has been learning for some time from the Malay Elder's and is preparing to be baptized. Our goal was to share with him a little more on the plan that God has for us and help him to understand. Surprisingly he spoke Chinese too and I was able to share with him my testimony and a scripture that meant a lot to me! It was a neat opportunity to talk with him about these things and promise him that as he continued to follow the Lord, a way would be prepared for him to accomplish what needs to be accomplished.

On Saturday, we had a member, ******** who followed us the entire day and we rode through rain, wind and lightning and it was amazing to see her keep going and sharing her testimony with others. Her faith in sharing the Gospel really strengthened mine and has helped me to see that sacrifice for the Lord is worth more than anything else and that it is the most rewarding of all labors. I am grateful for her commitment to work hard, to have the spirit and help others come unto Christ.

Another miracle was that I crashed but didn't die... Just a few scraped on my hand and that was it. It was awesome! I hit a curb wrong and felt myself fly forward and I was just, "Oh great..." The first thing I asked was if Elder Duckworth had his camera with him... That was a fun experience...
One of our investigators finally had some time to come to church with us. As he walked into the church building, he was just like, "Elders, I just felt all the negativity in my body just wash away." It was awesome to be able to see that happen! I am so grateful for the Spirit of the Lord! I know that as he continues to learn, his life will continue to improve and he will shine brighter!

The members in both my branch and the Batu Kawa branch are amazing! There are so many leaders, and I am just grateful to be able to meet all of them! In Sacrament, the branch President had me share my testimony but in Malay. I started out OK but them I had Elder Duckworth translate the rest of it. Everyone was just amazing and I am so grateful for their testimonies of the Gospel! We are still working with some of our less actives and they are making their way back. The fire of the Gospel is amazing!
A scripture that really made an impact on me was:
2 Nephi 31: 19-20

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

 That "perfect brightness of hope" is the promise that each of us can obtain a celestial inheritance from our Heavenly Father and live with Him and become like Him! With that knowledge, there really is no need to fear. I know that as each of us continue to do our best to follow the Gospel, the Lord will provide a way to press forward! I love you all! I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Love, Elder Shirley









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...