August 14, 2016
This week I will have the chance to get back with Elder Schwemmer and do a little more Chinese work. One of the things that we want to focus on is always meeting with someone and not just making it a, "whats the back up plan? We can go contacting..." We really want to build up our branch members and help them continue to build their testimony of the Gospel. We know that as we do so, be able to meet with their family and friends will help with others to teach and automatically having a support system to fall back on.
I was reading this morning in the Book of Mormon and I love those moments when all of the sudden the Gospel suddenly makes sense and you wonder why you didn't understand it before...
Jacob 4: 12-14
12 "And now, beloved, marvel not that I tell you these things; for why not speak of the atonement of Christ, and attain to a perfect knowledge of him, as to attain to the knowledge of a resurrection and the world to come?
13 Behold, my brethren, he that prophesieth, let him prophesy to the understanding of men; for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls. But behold, we are not witnesses alone in these things; for God also spake them unto prophets of old.
14 But behold, the Jews were a stiffnecked people; and they despised the words of plainness, and killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand. Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall; for God hath taken away his plainness from them, and delivered unto them many things which they cannot understand, because they desired it. And because they desired it God hath done it, that they may stumble."
Are we looking beyond the mark? I have to constantly remind myself that the Gospel begins with faith in Christ unto repentance. Sometimes we can be engaged in learning about the theory of Kolob or trying to understand the facsimile's in the book of Abraham. Although it would be cool to understand all of that, our foundation must be built on Faith in Christ. As we do so, everything else will begin to fall into place. I love the Gospel and how simple but powerful and plain it is. I know that it is true and I am so grateful for a testimony of it. I share these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love, Elder Shirley
Comments
Post a Comment