It has been quite the week here in preparing for Christmas and
packing all of my things up to head off to Singapore! I got my flight plans and
will be leaving next Monday Morning the 28th. My flight leaves around 5:30,
so if I call, it will probably be around 4:00 or so. From Salt Lake I
will fly to LA which is pretty short. I'll have about a 3-4-hour layover and
then I’ll fly from LA to Hong Kong. As I arrive in Hong Kong I will have about
a 2-3-hour layover and then I will fly directly to Singapore! As far as I know
there will be another two Singapore missionaries who are English speaking who
will be flying with me, so that should be fun! I am excited to be getting out
and learning more out in the field.
This past week has been awesome though! I had some really neat
experiences that I will share with you! First things first... I was getting
some chocolate milk for lunch, and I asked Elder Vainuku a question but I did
it in a Scottish accent. (Here is where it gets good) Anyway I spoke in a
Scottish accent and all of a sudden an Elder who was standing right next to
me quickly whipped his head at me with a surprised look on his face and asked
me "Is that real?!?" I told him "What?" and he said
"your accent?!?" You know what I said... Yeah... I told him "Of
course Elder! I am from Scotland and I have been called to serve in the
Singapore mission" And he believed me. He said, "That is so
COOL!" I was going to tell him the truth but I lost him in the crowd of
people and couldn't find him after that. It was great: D
Last Tuesday, Elder Robbyn's came and spoke to us and he gave an
incredible talk about the Character of Christ and shared some personal
experiences with us. It really hit me hard and I had an even stronger desire to
serve the Lord. He shared with us the Christ-like attribute activity that was
in the back of Chapter 6 of Preach My Gospel. He shared with us if we are put
into a situation in which we have to ask the question of, "What would
Jesus Christ do? Then that is the attribute in which we lack. If presented with
the same situation but instead acting as if it was second nature, then we have
not only just changed our behavior, but we have changed our very nature.
Each day it seems like only becomes faster and faster and I have
realized that my time on a mission will soon run out, and that I must dedicate
all that I am to serving the Lord and helping others know and discover for
themselves the same blessings that have blessed my life.
Sunday, the President of the MTC and his wife spoke to us about
this Christmas season and offered us 3 gifts that we can give to the Savior.
The Gift of Gratitude
The Gift of Obedience
The Gift of Faith
As we look for opportunities to serve those around us, we will
more fully recognize that those around us are not merely strangers but are each
Brothers and Sisters and that we all belong to the same family and that through
Jesus Christ we can all return home together.
It is my testimony that the worth of every soul is great in the
sight of God and that God, who is our Heavenly Father loves us with an infinite
and pure love. I know that each of us are literal Sons and Daughters of
Heavenly Parents and that it is our divine potential to become like they are. I
know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and that by abiding by its
precepts, we will come closer to God and Jesus Christ than we have ever done so
before. I love you and the rest of the family and I am grateful to be serving
these two years.
I invite you and the rest of the family to find families around
you and share the love of Jesus Christ and I know Heavenly Father will not only
bless them with the Knowledge of kindness but it will significantly impact your
life and everyone else's. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Elder
Shirley aka Shi Zhang Lao
Comments
Post a Comment