Skip to main content

Week 38..."I didn't need a translation..I already knew what he shared was true."

Kuching Zone Conference
I honestly wish I could share everything that I experience, as though you are experiencing it with me! It is such an amazing opportunity to be here and serve! I am grateful for the Lord and all that He does in helping me to become more like Him! I love the people and their testimonies. They have strengthened me beyond anything I know! 

This week included many faith building moments that really strengthened my resolve to better follow the Savior. One such experience was when Elder Brown and I were calling through some of our potential investigators and Elder Brown then said, "lets call ******!" He is one of the less actives on our branch list and we gave him a call and he actually answered the phone! We met with him at the church and we just started talking with him about following the example of the Savior and improving our lives. He brought up how each night before he goes to bed, he takes all the things that he did that day and reflects on them. He finds those things that perhaps had a negative outlook and makes a decision to focus on those things the next day, promising to be better! It really made an impact on me. Sometimes, each of us, instead of just going, and going and going, need to take a few minutes and reflect. It is only then that we see how far we have come. Perhaps we focus to much on what we still need to become, but the Lord does not expect immediate perfection from us. One thing that He does expect is immediate progress made by each of us. As we reflect and have the determination to keep improving, we need not do it alone. We have the help of Jesus Christ. He will never leave our side. He never has, and I am so grateful for His love that I am able to feel. I know that He lives!

Another experience that I had was this past Sunday. I had the opportunity to interview a baptismal candidate. He has been learning for quite some time now and really does want to change. He spoke a little English and most of it was in Malay so I had a translator help me understand. There came a point near the end of his interview where I asked him to share is testimony of Jesus Christ. After He finished, the translator turned to me and was about to explain in English but I stopped him. I told him that I didn't need a translation. I already knew what he shared with me was true. As he began sharing, I could feel the spirit get stronger and stronger. I knew his testimony was sincere.

Yesterday, we met with our investigator and her mother and had an amazing lesson. We taught them the restoration of the gospel and concluded with watching the restoration. The spirit was definitely there! After I turned to the mom who is not a member of the Church and invited her to read the Book of Mormon. She looked at me, and the the book and then back at me and said, "This is the third time I have been invited to read the Book of Mormon. How long does it take to gain a testimony?" :D That was the best response that I have ever had. Thank you to those other missionaries in the Philippines who prepared her and her daughter! The Gospel is so true! If we are committed to finding an answer to our questions, the God will answer. He answers in His own time, but He does answer! Keep searching, keep praying and the answer will come by the power of the Holy Ghost!

The members are amazing, as always! Especially Sister ***! Randomly she just comes up to us and says, "Elders, I have someone that I want you to meet." We're just like "YESSS!" Missionary work is on fire! I have no regrets. I miss the comforts of home, but these experiences are just not found anywhere else. Many of the members in our branch are in part member families. We hope to be able to meet with them and help them becoming active families and one day to be sealed in the temple together! I love this work! It is amazing. For all those who are not currently serving out in the field away from home, there are no excuses! Open your mouth and it shall be filled and the Lord shall give thee utterance. Seek not for riches but first seek the Kingdom of God. The worth of souls is great in the sight of God! Every member is a missionary!

Scripture of the Week:

Doctrine and Covenants 6: 32-37

 32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you.

 33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.

 34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.

 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.

 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.

 37 Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

There is no need to fear. The Lord is continually by us and is preparing the way before us. It is my testimony that as each of us do the best that we possibly can, with a desire to improve and do better, than surely the Lord will magnify us more than we can ever know! I love the Savior Jesus Christ. I know that He lives. This is His work and I am grateful to contribute what I can. I share my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love,
Elder Shirley


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...