This week has definitively pushed me and has helped me to open
my eyes to how much the Lord is a part of this work. I have no doubt in my mind
that I have been called by a prophet who lives today who was called by God. I
know that I am supposed to be here and I am blessed by the Lord every day.
Sometimes I do not feel worthy of those blessing because of my efforts and lack
of experience but this I do know, that no matter how experienced I am, each day
is that much better than before and each moment my testimony of the Gospel
grows just a little bit more. The Lord truly has said "line upon line
precept upon precept, here a little and there a little." I am so grateful
for the counsel that the Lord gives to each of us as we strive to do what is
right no matter how hard or challenging it may be. We can always press on in
faith knowing that the Lord will guide us and help us and that one day we will
have a testimony that it was all worth it.
This week, Elder G. challenged me to become humbler. I
gladly took on the invitation and began to ponder how I could become humbler.
Over the week, it was amazing to see how many different experiences I had that
directly related to humility and really tested my faith on whether I would rely
on my own strength or upon the Lord's. A neat thing that I have found is to
begin with prayer and to ask Heavenly Father to help with a specific
Christ-like attribute such as charity or humility and to ask for the trials and
experiences that would help us to become more like Christ in that area.
Throughout the week, with the attribute of humility, I was able to recognize a
lot more than I had previously how much I really do have to rely on the Lord
and not my own wisdom. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father knows exactly
which experiences and challenges to allow us to go through that help us build
our testimony. All we must do is never forget that Heavenly Father loves us so
much and has a plan prepared. My faith in Him has grown tremendously and I know
that He will never leave us comfortless.
The members here are each amazing and each week we are getting a
little closer to building our branch bigger. This weekend we were able to have
Brother E. and Brother S. help us with member present lessons and they were
awesome! S. had helped us with a person while we were explaining a little more
about the Book of Mormon but our investigator wasn't sure and was just asking
different questions that were leading nowhere. Then S. bore a powerful
testimony where we cannot judge the Book of Mormon just from what we have heard
from other people or other sources. He compared it to school and how you have a
friend who told you some things about a person that may not have been true. Of
course you can say hello and wave but that information about them keeps you
from really getting to know them personally. He then added that we cannot do
that with the Book of Mormon. In order to truly find out what it has to offer,
we must humble ourselves and read it with real intent. Only then will God give
a confirmation through the Holy Ghost that the Book is true.
I am grateful for the testimonies of members of the church. They
are so valuable. The missionaries can say all that they want and still it will
not make sense to another person. When a member, who is native, understands
what the person may be going through, hearts are then opened and the Spirit is
able to bear a powerful witness of these things to be true.
One of the miracles that we had this week was really the timing
of the Lord's plan that He has for everyone. This week, we decided that one of
our investigators was not progressing since we were not able to meet with him
for about 3 weeks since he was really busy with work and other things. We
dropped him hoping that soon he would free up some time. That day or the day
after he calls and says he can meet. This is our first real lesson with him,
last time we gave him a Book of Mormon and didn't have time to explain where it
comes from but basically testified that it would be able to help you overcome
different obstacles and challenges that you may be facing. Anyway, we met with
him and talked to him about the Book of Mormon and he had already read to Alma
and we had that open mouth expression. He testified to us that as he read the
Book of Mormon, his work, family, and his week had all gotten progressively
better and that he felt a peace inside of himself as he read. He knows that
Heavenly Father loves him and that He has a plan for him.
I have that same feeling. I have a testimony that as we read the
Book of Mormon and begin a serious study, the Lord will bless us with strength
and power that we didn't know was possible. I know that as we read the Book of
Mormon we will find ourselves coming closer and closer to the Lord and are mind
will be opened to learning new things that will help us in our lives. I love my
Savior Jesus Christ. I know that He lives and at this time in our lives we are
all preparing the world for His second coming. I am grateful to be serving as a
missionary and for the Lord being a part of my life every single day. I say
this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Shirley
photo credits; Elder Trevor Lloyd
photo credits; Elder Trevor Lloyd



Comments
Post a Comment