October 17, 2016
This week was a really good week! I'm grateful for the opportunities every week the Lord gives to me and my companions! There will always be challenges and obstacles ahead, however we are not alone! Friends, family and especially the Savior Jesus Christ will always reach out and uplift!
An experience that I had this week that really impacted me was when Elder Boud and I were doing training together and we both began talking about the importance of keeping a spiritual scripture journal. He talked to me about how many successful people will take time out of their day to just sit and ponder. As I considered in my own missionary experience, I haven't always taken the time to keep a well kept spiritual journal. I had always found myself writing down what had been said by the speaker but I never truly wrote down what the spirit was trying to communicate to me. Elder Boud said something to me that I will never forget, he said, "Elder Shirley, listen to the spirit, not to the speaker." He then opened up his study journal and it wasn't a collection of just written quotes by others but it was simply the thoughts that he felt prompted to write down upon paper. If he had a question that he wasn’t to certain about, he would refer back to a similar question and review the answer that he wrote down. I am grateful for his example and the time he took to share with me his thoughts. I know that keeping a spiritual book or personal scripture can and will bless our life forever.
This past week we wanted to see how we would best be able to help our ward to grow and to help the members to continue building their faith and testimonies. We decided that English class would be a good method to try out to see if it would yield more success. We took our English class signs to Chinatown, stood on the stairs and preached English to the people of Singapore. At first it seemed like no progress was being made and we were just standing there. Slowly one by one people began to come up to us and ask us about this English class that we were advertising. We explained to them that we were volunteers with our church and we were teaching a free English class to all who wanted to participate. To my surprise, people were actually really excited and eager to learn more and we're taking pictures, laughing and it was amazing to see it all happening! I am really excited to be able to see how it all unfolds.
Right now we are working with the members by scheduling appointments with them on Sunday in church. We are grateful for the support that they give us and we hope in the next couple weeks to continue to meet with them! We have been able to work with the ward council and talk a little bit more about the progress of our investigators and they are doing great!
I am grateful for the Church and all that it has! I love the Lord. I know that He lives and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Shirley


Comments
Post a Comment