October 24, 2016
I look back on the experiences that I have been given as a missionary and realize just how grateful I am. It has now been about year since I have said good bye to my family, gave each of them a hug and then departed to the MTC. How fast the time has gone by. I am grateful for the restored church of Jesus Christ! What a blessing it has been in my life and in the life of all of those around me!
Today I wish to focus upon the purpose of being a missionary. What it's all about."Our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored Gospel, through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end." How do we invite others to come unto Christ?
1.Through Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Throughout my mission my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ has been tried and tested. Stretched and pulled and in many instances I felt as though my mustard seed of faith was not growing and the next step to my testimony was a ways off. This week we made plans to visit a less active in our ward. We left church, traveled and showed up at his door. We knocked and it wasn't him that came to the door. We asked this man if he knew where our friend was and he just said that he did not. Not a minute later his wife comes around the corner and asks us who we are. We explain and then we were practically pulled into their house and sat down. They told us that they had dinner cooking and that they were going to feed us. All of us were just like, OK... sure. We ate dinner with them and got to know them really well. They were the nicest family we had ever met and were so kind and generous. That was a testimony to me that the Lord is constantly preparing the hearts of all of his children to hear the message of the restored Gospel. We will be meeting with them this week to share with them more.
Last week we were on our way home and there was a girl about 20 or so and we started to talk with her. We complimented her on her English which I thought was really good and we talked with her a little bit more about English class and Christ and invited her to learn. She said that she would think about it. A few days later we met with her and had a really good lesson. After the lesson, we weren't sure if she wanted to keep learning or not. It wasn't until that night we received a text from her which read, "Hey guys, I think I need to share this with you. I hope this will encourage you because what you guys did was really meaningful. I was struggling the past few months because of my job. When I was walking to my work place, I started to get really nervous. I am always thinking that I am just not good enough and that I can't even do my job correctly. In fact, I was really upset the day we met because I took the wrong direction on the MRT away from where I wanted to go. I was really discouraged. Even taking the MRT was such a simple task to do and even then I made a mistake. How could I work as a nurse and expect to not make any mistakes. That is the role of a nurse! However, things changed when you guys greeted me. Especially when you said the my English was very good. I was greatly encouraged by that and have gained more confidence to speak out. I am doing quite well on my job this week than the week before. I have realized that is because I have more confidence to talk with people like doctors, patients, and also my colleagues. This really makes my job much easier. I really appreciated what you guys did and also for what God has done. I hope this will encourage you guys to keep moving forward and help more and more people."
I love that. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it into me."
We have found success in scheduling appointments with the members while in church. Dinner is always good but the Spirit is always so apparent in their homes. We are grateful for that opportunity to visit. It is sort of a break from the world and going into a home where the Spirit is present and Gospel principles. I went on splits with a member yesterday for the entire day and that was way fun! We contacted a storm and it was just good to go around and see what we could do to help others in their lives. Mission prep is always a blast! I think role pays honestly make such a difference. One thing that Elder Boud pointed out was that it is not a real role play if your not acting like it is. Make it real! There is more power!
I am grateful for the Church. For the Book of Mormon and for the blessing that I am able to have to serve. Although I have one year left as a full time missionary, I will be a missionary for life!! I love this Gospel! I thank my Father in Heaven for allowing me to serve. I share my testimony that the Church is true in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love.
Elder Shirley
I love my Ward!!!




Comments
Post a Comment