November 27, 2016
Hello everyone! I am grateful to be able to share some things that I have learned this past week that I feel has really strengthened my testimony. To begin, I want to show my gratitude for the past Thanksgiving day. I am grateful to be grateful! I know that a lot of things in life are not necessarily mine but are a gift from a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful that He sent His son Jesus Christ to atone for each of our sins and mistakes. I am grateful that He extends the commitment for all to come unto Him, to partake of His grace and mercy and to be made whole again. Isn't that such a special gift for each of us to not only enjoy, but to cherish forever. I know that without the Savior Jesus Christ, I would be no where close to where I am right now. I am grateful for the love and care of my Family and extended family as well as each of my friends who have helped me to become who I needed to become. I love this Gospel. The Gospel is Joy and as we strive to live the principles taught in it, Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end, we are promised by God Himself that we will experience and inherit a fullness of Joy. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is true.This past week we had the opportunity to teach a man named ***** who is amazing and just has the biggest heart. A couple of months ago before I had come to Singapore, ***** began to attend the English classes that we hold. I got to meet him my first week in Singapore and he seemed like he was a really good person. As time went on, he continued coming to the English class. About 6 weeks ago we began introducing the "Gospel Discussion" as a add on to English class. The discussions sole purpose was for those who were interested in learning more about the Gospel and for those who had questions about the Church. In these discussions, we put up Mormon message, reviewed what had happened and then by the end I would share a quick simple testimony of how the principles we learn in the video can be applied into our life. After doing this discussion for a couple weeks, I walked up to ***** after class had ended and asked him if learning more about the Gospel would be something that interested him. He replied that it would. Elder Boud and I went to another room and shared with him more about the Gospel.
Fast forward 2 weeks from when that event took place. A day before English class we asked him if after class we could meet to which he willingly agreed. As we talked with him, he shared a lot of information with us that we didn't even know had happened. Finally, we bore testimony of the Book of Mormon and how as we read it sincerely and with real intent that by the power of the Holy Ghost he can know the truth for himself. Then came the moment of truth and commitment. "Brother *****, when you come to know that these things are true and know for yourself that God is your Heavenly Father and that Jesus Christ is our Savior, are you willing to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?"
"Absolutely. I accept. "
I testify that the work of the Lord is true and it has power to help people change their lives and prepare for the greatest of all gifts even the gift of eternal life.
This past Wednesday, I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with Elder Clark. It was a really good day, we had been meeting with many people and talking with them about the restores Gospel and we met all sorts of people with differing opinions and ideas. Near the end of the day, we had scheduled an appointment with a member of Elder Clark's ward. We approached her house, knocked on the door and she let us in. She was very kind and happy! As we were talking with her, her daughter comes out and starts to just tear down our beliefs. After an argument between her and her mother, she goes back into her room. Her mother explained that she is still recovering from a mental incident and that she is going through a relapse. We continued to share with the mother and now and then again, the daughter would peek her head out and then go back in her room. It was at this time that I felt an overwhelming sense of love and compassion for her. As we were nearing the end of the lesson, we talked about charity, the pure love of Christ. Now Elder Clark is an English speaking missionary and does not speak any Mandarin. So technically I was an English elder for the day. So, Elder Clark bore a powerful testimony of what charity is and then looked at me to share my testimony. As I began to share my testimony, I talked about how charity had blessed me in my life and how it was such a special gift that our Heavenly Father can give us. As I shared my testimony her daughter comes out of her room with this look of amazement and surprise as well as her mother and she asked me this question. "You can speak Mandarin?" The funny thing was that I didn't even realize that I was even speaking Mandarin and what added more to my amazement was that it was probably the clearest Mandarin that I had ever spoken! After I shared my testimony her daughter just beamed with light and all of the sudden we were best friends. Both of them were willing to meet again. :)
I am grateful for the power of the Spirit. SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE REAL. We just have to willing to seek them and brave enough to use them.
I am grateful for the power of the Spirit. SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE REAL. We just have to willing to seek them and brave enough to use them.
Working in the Chinese 2nd Ward has been such a blessing. The members are amazing and are all willing to do their part and help in whatever way that they can. Yesterday, we were planning to teach the plan of salvation to a recent convert to help him better understand the doctrine. At first we were explaining the beginning and then the fall and after a few minutes our member said, let me see that piece of paper over there. She then proceeded to draw about the entire plan of salvation going from our premortal life to receiving eternal life. Elder Boud and I just let her explain and it was awesome! We finished the lesson and read Alma 34 with him which reminds us that this life is the time to prepare to meet God. We must doing everything that we can to have faith, repent, be baptized, receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost and endure to the end wherein God has all that is His can then be ours if we are faithful to the end. Every member a missionary!
We are continuing to work with those who are less active and helping them feel the joy of living the Gospel. We are hoping to work a little more with the sister missionaries who are in the ward with us to help visit everyone. I am so grateful for members and missionaries and member missionaries and missionary members!
We are continuing to work with those who are less active and helping them feel the joy of living the Gospel. We are hoping to work a little more with the sister missionaries who are in the ward with us to help visit everyone. I am so grateful for members and missionaries and member missionaries and missionary members!
Scripture of the week: Omni 1: 25-26
A scripture that my Grandfather shared with me that helped me realize that in this season of thankfulness, everything that we have comes from the Lord.
25 And it came to pass that I began to be old; and, having no seed, and knowing king Benjamin to be a just man before the Lord, wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates unto him, exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord: and that which is evil cometh from the devil.
26 And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved.
"This was a powerful scripture to me as a missionary, and what I was commissioned to do, as well for the rest of my life!" -Grandpa Garrett
As we turn our hearts to the Lord and allow Him to help us there will be new pathways and directions that we before didn't know were even available. I know that the Savior lives. He is engaged in this work. We need not fear for He has overcome all things, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Shirley
Comments
Post a Comment