February 12, 2017
This week has been great! I am so happy to be here in Singapore at this time. I love the people and I am grateful to be able to go out and serve them. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My companion talked with me about how the Gospel is so simple that a child can understand it but also so detailed and complex that you can spend a lifetime of studying it. I am grateful for my companion! Elder Barlow is awesome and is always striving to do his best. One of the things that I think is amazing is his personal testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He doesn't let anything him stop him from testifying in our lessons that what we are sharing is absolutely true. His words have power and they are guided by the Spirit. I am grateful for a companion that I could look up to. I know that I still have plenty of things to learn and improve upon. I have a testimony that if we are willing to learn and not only accept criticism but also to seek it, that will allow for the Holy Ghost to prompt us on what we need to do next. Heavenly Father will then teach us and will help us to learn and grow.
I love seeing the change that happens in other peoples lives as they choose to live their lives in harmony with the Gospel. I notice a change in character, in their attitude and a change in how they view themselves. One of my favorite things to do as a missionary is what a member of my home stake presidency said to me which was, "Ethan, you have the unique opportunity to go to Asia and to teach others about who God is and their relationship with them. You will be able to help them connect with their Father in Heaven that will bless their lives forever." That is so true. Many of the people in Singapore are classified as being a free thinker, or simply just believing in themselves not really having a religion at all. I remember an experience that I had a while ago upon meeting a person who was a free thinker. We had a basic conversation with him and then began talking about God and who He was. As the conversation progressed he began to ask more questions. Nearing the end of our conversation, he had to get off and so we passed a card to him and invited him to call if he had any more questions. Although we didn't get an opportunity to meet with him, I felt the Spirit testify through the words that my companion and I spoke that they were true. God is our Father, and He loves us. We are His children and we are apart of His Family.
Our investigators are progressing! They are doing amazing and I am grateful to be working alongside them! A***** is investigating the church right now. Her mother was recently baptized in Arizona and so now she is learning in Singapore. She is formally from China but has really good English but prefers to learn in Chinese. Everyday she is reading the Book of Mormon and each time, texts us and tells us how the Book of Mormon really helps her to feel calm and at peace especially when working. Her faith is building and I am grateful as a missionary to see that happen! **** is another investigator that we are teaching. He is from China and is a co-founder of a company here in Singapore and China. He is very diligent in trying to understand the Book of Mormon and really enjoys the feeling of church. He is doing amazing so far and we are excited to continue helping him learn and to apply the Gospel into his life. Sister L** is awesome! She has been investigating for 6 years already and has just recently come back to Singapore but is practically already a member. She is full of energy and is way fun to be around. She has an energetic personality but when it comes time to be serious and learn she is ready to go. She already has a powerful testimony of the Gospel and has already read through the Book of Mormon and is about half-way through at the moment. I am grateful for their commitment in learning the Gospel. Each of them have helped me build my faith in so many ways and have helped re-commit myself to becoming better and striving to be more Christ-like.
The members of the Ward are amazing! They are always willing to help with our lessons and welcoming the investigators and helping them to feel comfortable at church. It was awesome to see all of our investigators having someone to sit by at church. The members are more than willing to spend some time with our investigators and get to know them more. We have realized that if each member of our ward were to find at least one friend to come to church with them, our ward would then double in size. We have seen the power that comes when members invite their friends. It is a good introduction to learning about the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. It allows that person to feel the warmth of the Spirit. They have a friend in the ward to talk to if they have any questions. Every member a missionary is so important and the Lord has promised that He will pour out His greatest blessing for "the worth of Souls is great in the sight of God."
I want to share my testimony that I know that this church is true. I know that there is power that comes from being obedient to God's commandments. It will never be enough to learn all that God has taught, we must square up and do it. We must show forth our faith by actions. As we do so humbly and diligently, then we qualify ourselves for the promised blessings of God. I know that the church has been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that as we read it, it will draw us nearer unto God. I love the Lord Jesus Christ and I am grateful to be working with Him in his vineyard. I share these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Shirley
| Biking on Pulau Bin |
![]() |
| Emailing our Momma's |
![]() |
| Year of the Rooster |


Comments
Post a Comment