Skip to main content

Week 67... I Love My Ward Family!

February 5, 2017



We have had some awesome miracles and experiences this past week that have helped me to build my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and help deepen my own conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I personally believe that success as a missionary does not come from having many baptisms or having the most lessons taught in a week but simply comes as a result of your personal conviction and testimony of the Gospel. When I return home from my mission, it is my hope as one friend of mine put it, "You can take the missionary out of the mission, but you can never take the mission out of the missionary." I have a testimony that the Gospel has been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith and that as we abide by the principles of the Gospel, we will be blessed and guided.


This week has been quite the week and I have learned a lot. Yesterday after church we had the opportunity to teach mission prep to two of our awesome young adults who have both of their papers in to serve.
We began by reciting our missionary purpose and then went into reciting Doctrine and Covenants section 4 and at that point it wasn't too clear on how to say it. So we broke it down verse by verse and talked about what it meant. As we did so each of us shared little insights that helped us better understand what we were learning. A couple verses that caught my attention was verses 6-7 which read:

Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence. Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

To me, each of those qualities is a spiritual gift that can be nurtured if we are willing to take the time and effort to build them up. As we discussed these as a class, a point was brought up that God is willing to grant anything as long as it will be for our benefit. I have a testimony that as we ask God for such gifts, that He is always willing to bless us.

Right now, Elder Barlow and I are working with an investigator named A***** who is amazing! She is always so willing to help us out, and when I was sick the last week, she brought medicine to church yesterday and gave it to us so that if we ever get sick again we can be prepared. After church yesterday, we took the opportunity to share with her some more about the restoration of the Gospel. We invited her to be baptized and she said she would like to take some time to think about it because she wants to be sure that it is true. We gave her The Book of Mormon and invited her to start reading from it. She is awesome! Later that night she sent us a text which says, 

"Hello Elder Shirley and Barlow. There is something interesting I want to share. Today in the morning, when I was in MRT. I wanna read something, but I did not watch my phone. So I m thinking I could just ask you to give me a book to read. Than today, I just got it! I'm starting to read it and learn it. Thank you so much for sharing this."

It amazes me to see how everything falls into place at the right time and in the right place. The church is true!

This past Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and the members share some very powerful testimonies! I am grateful for their faith and conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Each of the members really are a big family and everyone is looking out for others. When investigators come to church they are swarmed by members and it is awesome because the light of Christ is so evident. I love my members, they are awesome! We are hoping to start working with some part member families and be able to share with them! It should be good week with lots of amazing miracles.

I know that the Jesus Christ is the Lord of the Vineyard. I know that as a missionary I am under His direction and guidance and as I am willing to work He will help me to work efficiently and effectively. I love the Lord and I am grateful to be His missionary. I share my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love,
Elder Shirley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 76..."This past week has been one of faith and might!"

This week, I had the opportunity to watch conference which was an absolute blast! I love hearing from the prophets and apostles speak and offer counsel to those that are seeking it. How grateful I am that our Heavenly Father in this period of time has a prophet upon the earth. I have a testimony that as we heed the words of the prophet and those that are called alongside him, that we will never go astray. This past week has been one of faith and might! I am grateful for the opportunity to come and serve the people of Singapore. It hasn't always been easy but I can honestly say it has been all worth it! A simple principle of faith that I learned from General Conference was what Elder Choi had said saying, "Don't look around, Look up!" I have learned that if all that I do is look around, I can never progress, however, as I continue to steadfastly look up toward heaven, then I find myself changing in so many ways. Axxxxx is awesome! She is something else...

Week 75...Experiences that have increased my faith and built my testimony up this week.

The things you get to learn on a mission are just awesome! I am so glad that I decided to serve the Lord for two years. I would be nowhere close to where I am at right now. I am indeed grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have on my mission and for what they have taught me personally. I know that the Lord, Jesus Christ is very well aware of what I go through and is continuing to lift me up every hour of the day. I know that He lives. His love is real and extends to all who seek it. I wish to share with you some of the experiences that I have had this week that have increased my faith and built my testimony up. Trust in the Lord.  I have really felt the need to say that after the many challenges and trials that seem to be never ending, that I simply can not do it on my own. If I continue to try and do something on my own and just push forward, then I have already failed. I cannot do it on my own. It is sometimes painful to admit that because I feel that in orde...

Week 71...The Sound of Rejoicing

March 5, 2016 Hello! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is honestly the best thing ever. I know that sometimes it feels like the Gospel can only apply to those that we teach and share with but first and foremost it is to strengthen yourself and give you the confidence and boost of energy that you need throughout the week. I love the Savior Jesus Christ. He is my teacher and exemplar and I look to Him as one of my closest friends and for that I am eternally grateful. This week I have been thinking to myself how I could better help those people that I have been working with feel the power of the Spirit and to continue to be excited to meet again and learn. It was also something that I have been thinking about as we contact other people in Singapore. We do strive to talk with everyone and look for opportunities to serve those around us, however, I have felt that we weren't yielding the same success as weeks prior. Then everything changed!  D&C 28:16 "And thou m...