January 22, 2017
The Book of Mormon is such a powerful reminder of how much the Savior Jesus Christ has done for each of us. When I was younger I remember reading the Book of Mormon felt more like a reading assignment rather than its intended purpose. I can't say how many times I have read the first chapter of Nephi, continued and then had to re-start because I had forgotten what I had just read the week before. As I continued this pattern of reading and starting over, time continued on until I made the decision to start reading the Book of Mormon. The past couple weeks, the mission has come out with a Book of Mormon challenge to help encourage members and investigators to read the Book of Mormon with the promise that they will be spiritually edified.
Ezra Taft Benson shares this promise to those who take it upon themselves to study the Book of Mormon.
"There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance."
I have taken the challenge to read the Book of Mormon everyday for 20-30 minutes and each day I am becoming happier and happier despite what may go on around me. I bear my testimony that this promise that President Benson shares with us is absolutely true. It does protect and edify those who read from the Book of Mormon and make it a habit in their day to day lives. Something that I have noticed while teaching investigators and sharing with members of the church is the feeling of the lesson if the Book of Mormon was included. As we have been able to share from the Book of Mormon, that has made all the difference.
The members have been amazing. I have really seen our relationship with them grow. I love talking with them each Sunday and seeing how each of them are doing. In our ward we have people from America, China, Taiwan and Singapore and it is always amazing to learn more about who they are. Want to wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year! We are getting fed this week and we are way excited for that. We have set up a plan with the sisters to visit all of the members on our ward list and see who lives there and who doesn't. We have organized by area which should make it more effective in finding people to teach.
In one of my personal studies this week, I was reading in the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi. Jacob, is teaching the people and sharing with them the words of Isaiah. In chapter 7 verse 8 it reads,
"8 And the Lord is near, and he justifieth me. Who will contend with me? Let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? Let him come near me, and I will smite him with the strength of my mouth."
We need not be afraid. The Lord is standing with us always. It then becomes our choice to stand with Him. I know that Jesus is the Christ. He understands each of us perfectly and wants to help us. I share my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Shirley

Comments
Post a Comment